Friday, June 14, 2013

SUPERMAN through the ages.

Not long after I started drawing, I discovered the character of Superman. The first film was released when I was one year old, so I grew up surrounded by Superman merchandise, comic re-boots, movie sequels, television, and video rentals. To me Christopher Reeve was, and will always be Superman. As a young artist this character quickly became my muse, and I am a Superman fan to this day. After the devastating disappointment of Superman Returns in 2006, I was fearful of seeing the latest film. Well I saw it, and there is a lot that I loved about the film, and a couple things I struggled with, but I will say that watching the film as a new father had an unexpected impact on me. I am not going to blog a review of the film, but after seeing it I was inspired to share a couple drawings of the Man of Steel from my childhood.(Thanks for keeping this stuff Mom and Dad).



(Above) Age 3. Here I'm Just trying to figure out the right symbols to create an image of this guy. He's flying if you couldn't tell. Maybe backwards though.



(Above) Age 6. Starting to draw him in situations now. I would make the sounds of all the action as I drew these scenes. My spelling was just as awesome as it is now.



(Above) Age 8. One of my first attempts at a portrait.



(Above) Age 9. I remember exactly where I was when I drew this one. It was on a camping trip with my family in 1986. I had my well worn "How To Draw the DC Superheroes" book with me, sitting at an old wooden picnic table. I'm pretty sure I had a mullet at the time.

Just thought these would be fun to share. Every kid has to draw Superman at least once in their lives.

9 Comments:

Blogger Alishea said...

Best post ever. Haha
Thanks for sharing Shane!

7:24 PM  
Blogger Christina Yang said...

Ditto Alishea! Our childhood drawings are always fascinating. :-)

10:48 PM  
Blogger Ravi Gupta said...

hahaha lovley:) thanks for sharing .

7:34 AM  
Blogger j-arturo said...

Jaja that is awesome! It's great you got to keep all your old drawings :D

10:28 AM  
Blogger samacleod said...

So cool. I wish I had a life long obsession ;) This reminds me of David Mazzuchelli's Batman drawings at the back of the Year One trade. Thanks for sharing!

8:35 AM  
Blogger katie smith said...

These are so great, it's always so fun (and hilarious) to go back & check out drawings from when you were a kid, and reminisce when/where you made them. Thank you for sharing!!

9:28 AM  
Blogger SHANE PRIGMORE said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. Glad you found these interesting.

SAMACLEOD: Yeah, you don't have a lifelong obsession at all you Bat freak. Thanks for the comment.

10:38 PM  
Blogger lincoln said...

Love seeing the childhood work! Genius stuff even then!

7:37 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

By, it's me Vanessa from that seminar at Art Institute two Feberuarys ago. Probably forgot me, buti made a new blog recently and I remembered you commented on my old blog before. :)

Anyway, this is a nice post. :) I saved a lot of my childhood drawings in my closet and this inspired me to probably post some soon.

Vane

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home